Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Aurora Century 16

Ian and I had just stepped out of the Dark Knight Rises midnight movie premiere. We were talking happily with our friends about how exhilerating the movie was and how much we had enjoyed it. We bid adieu to our friends and got into our car.

NPR was reporting a story live. The first thing we heard was something to the extent of "There are numerous ambulances and helicopters surrounding the area. So far we believe there are at least 10 confirmed dead."

"Hmm, must be the violence in Syria," Ian comments.

"We are reporting live from Aurora, CO where there has just been a mass shooting."

Our hearts dropped into our stomachs. Really? How could this happen? We were in shock and disbelief on the very short ride back to our house. Luckily the theater we had gone to was less than a mile from our home.

Lying in bed that night, it was difficult for me to fall asleep. You could say I was quite rattled - mostly because I remember lying in that exact same spot about a week ago when Ian and I made the decision that perhaps just saved our lives.

When we moved to Colorado from Waco TX, one of the things we were dismayed to see was how expensive the movie theaters were around Denver compared to Waco. The two major theaters in Waco cost $5.00 and $5.50 for a student evening ticket. The cheapest theater around our home in Colorado is $10 for an evening ticket. We could buy 2 tickets for that in Waco! Then we found the Century 16 theatre in Aurora. $6.50 for an evening ticket - that was more up our alley! So this theater became our usual go-to theater when there was a movie out we wanted to watch. The downside about this theater is that it is about 15 mins away, but it was still worth it to make the trip, even considering the gas money (believe me, my accountant husband did the calculations ;-) ). Because of the distance, a lot of times Ian and I would try to make a date out of it, so we would go to the Chili's or BJ's near the theater before heading into the movie.

So naturally, on this lazy Saturday morning lying in bed across from Ian, I told him I thought we should buy tickets to the Dark Knight Rises premier at the Aurora Century 16. Ian suggested we buy tickets at the theatre right across from our home - for $10.50 a piece. I wasn't a fan of the idea. The tickets here are almost double what it is in Aurora, but Ian brought up the point that I had work on Friday morning that I needed to get to, so it would be nice to shave 15 minutes of driving time. I thought "well, I'm going to be up till after 3 am in the theater... does 15 more minutes really make a difference?" Little did we know, it would mean all the difference in the world.

Somewhat relunctantly, I agreed to buy tickets at the theater across from our home.

After arriving home around 3:20 AM on Friday morning, Ian and I popped open our computers. We verified what had been terrifying our minds - it was the Century 16 Aurora. At that point I begin shaking.

Ian and I tearfully prayed together asking for God's protection, healing hand, and comfort over the victims and their families. And we incredulously thanked him for his protection over us.

I couldn't believe that God had so tangibly stuck out his hand and spared us from such unthinkable tragedy. Thoughts flooded my mind. Why did He do this? I'm not worthy of this. I feel guilty for continuoulsy thanking my God for protection when others weren't so lucky. Why couldn't he have reached out his loving hand and protected them?

But, I believe he did stick out his hand and protected many that night. Ian and myself included. But also many, many others who were in theater number 9 and the surrounding theaters. Whenever there is loss of life, it is a tragic thing regardless of the number. So far there have been 12 deaths, which is absolutely terrible in itself, but to compare that with the fact that there were about 58 others who were shot that are still alive and hundreds of others in the theater who escaped with no physical wounds, is something worth thanking God for.

This experience also convicted me. So many mornings I feel too tired to spend time with God. Pray to him, or read his Word. It is shameful. How could I not find it in myself to give a little bit of my time in my day completely to God when he just saved my life? Then I thought about it some more. Jesus Christ did, and God is continually, saving my life.

I didn't deserve to be spared from the tragedy of that Friday morning. No good deed I do ultimately makes me a more worthy person of saving. Neither did I deserve to have Jesus die on a cross for me so long ago, thereby freeing and saving my soul from eternal damnation.

We never deserve to be saved, but God does it anyway. And for that I am incredibly grateful. Who knows how many other times God has physically saved my (and everybody's) life, and we have no idea. He has probably kept us from so many accidents and has worked through police officers and others to keep us safe. I owe my soul, and my physical life, to the God who saves me -every day.

He has, in his infinite mercy, decided to give me another day to live. How can I not but rejoice and give thanks to him for every day that he has gifted to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment